It’s one of the most common New Year’s resolutions there is – to quit smoking – and there are even more reasons than you might think. Smoking doesn’t just harm your heart and lungs – believe it or not, it can do some serious damage to your feet as well! After all, feet are the farthest thing from your heart, so blood takes a long time to reach them as it is.
When you smoke, it causes arteries to narrow and circulation to become impaired, which means it’s even more difficult for blood to deliver the nutrients your feet need to stay healthy and problem-free. The result? Nerve damage, injuries that go unnoticed, and wounds that don’t heal – all of which opening the door to dangerous complications, including gangrene and amputation. There are plenty of reasons to quit smoking, and now you can add two more – your feet!
If you need help, we are here for you. Try these tips:
• Write down your reasons to remind yourself why it’s so important
• Prepare ahead of time by setting up support and removing ashtrays
• Find a relaxing alternative – maybe yoga or massage
• Avoid triggers like alcohol
• Exercise and eat a healthy diet
• Reward yourself
• Don’t give up! If you need more help, just let us know. You don’t have to do it alone.
Are You Suffering From A Painful Foot Condition?
If you are suffering from a painful foot condition you're not alone. Help is available. Contact our experienced podiatrist for help today. We are conveniently located in Clifton, New Jersey and look forward to helping you alleviate your foot pain. Contact us online or call our office directly at 973.777.5771 to schedule your appointment.